Lamb Pitas with Lemon Mint Sauce
I’ve been with my spouse for almost 14 years and for 14 years I’ve been sneaking new foods into his diet.
About a decade ago I tried to to make lamb. It was a utter failure. Thinking I ruined it as an option, I kept my eye out for the perfect recipe to sneak some lamb in without the wiser.
Cooking Light Magazine came through with this simple recipe. The mix of ground sirloin and ground lamb makes the gamey flavor slight enough for someone not to notice on initial bite. And the cool yogurt based lemon mint sauce works so well with the spicy flavor of the meat.
Add in some roasted red peppers and cucumbers and you have a wonderful pita.
- Lemon Mint Sauce
- 2/3 cup plain yogurt
- 2 tbsp fresh mint, chopped
- 2 tbsp grated lemon zest
- 1/4 tsp pepper
- 1/8 tsp salt
- 6 oz ground lamb
- 6 oz ground sirloin
- cooking spray or oil
- 1/2 cup finely chopped red onion
- 1 tsp minced fresh thyme
- 1/4 tsp ground cumin
- 1/4 tsp salt
- 1/8 tsp crushed red pepper (more to taste)
- 2 garlic cloves, minced
- 1/4 cup minced fresh parsley
- 4 pitas cut in half
- 1 cup peeled seeded thinly sliced cucumber
- 2 roasted red peppers cut into 1/4 inch strips
- Combine first 5 ingredients in a bowl and chill in the fridge.
- In a medium skillet, brown lamb and sirloin. Drain and set aside.
- In the same pan spray cooking spray or use a teaspoon of oil and saute onions until soft 2-3 minutes.
- Add meat back to pan along with thyme, cumin, red pepper, garlic and salt. Mix and cook for 3 minutes.
- Spoon meat mixture into pita, add some slices of cucumber and roasted red pepper and drizzle with sauce.