I know it may sound weird but reading a recipe with the intention of cooking it is different than reading anything else.
I believe you should read a recipe at a minimum of 3 times. Personally, I read them 5 times
- To see if you’re interested – glance over the ingredients (no allergens or ingredients you don’t eat?), time investment, tools needed to make sure it’s something you even want to pursue.
- (Optional Read) – go through your pantry and fridge/freezer to make a list of what you need to buy (this is optional because if you know you need everything no need to take the time to read it again)
- (Optional Read) – one more read to make sure you got everything from the store
- To get the ingredients prepared and tools ready – dice, measure & separate all ingredients so that everything is ready when you begin
- Follow the recipe to prepare the dish – this is the final read and there should be no surprises.
As long as you read for 1, 4, & 5 I think your cooking can and will be a success. Or you can be anal like me and over-prepare.
Either way it’s important to read any recipe thoroughly.